Plan a Staycation and Visit These Places Near Atlanta
For most people, a vacation is long overdue. Many of us have been stuck isolating at home during the COVID-19 pandemic—but now that the weather is warm and the vaccines are here, it’s time to hit the road and see more of the world. If your wanderlust is big compared to your budget, a road trip from Atlanta might be just the vacation you need.
“Staycations” don’t have to mean chilling at a hotel near your home—although that’s a perfectly respectable way to get away, too, especially if you’re the one who’s usually responsible for cleaning and cooking. They can also include mini road trips and day trips. Here are some of our favorites:
- Birmingham, AL: Whether you’re looking for barbecue, seafood or other Southern treats, you can’t beat the food scene in Birmingham. Cross state lines for this quick, fun trip that promises plenty to eat.
- Chattahoochee National Forest: This is the perfect place for a weekend camping trip. You can hike, horseback ride, fish or picnic for plenty of fun in your own backyard (almost).
- Chattanooga River: If you love river rafting, taking a ride down the Chattanooga River is a great way to beat the heat. This one is perfect for thrill-seekers of all ages.
- Consolidated Gold Mines: There’s gold in the hills—especially if you take a trip to the Consolidated Gold Mines. This trip is perfect for the local history lovers, since gold mining was an important part of Georgia’s history. You can even pan for your own gold.
- Georgia Guidestones: America’s Stonehenge? No one knows who erected and carved these guidestones—with commandments printed in several languages—but the mystery is half the fun.
- High Shoals Falls: This spectacular waterfall is one of Georgia’s most beautiful natural sites. Whether you hop in the water or just take dozens of photos, you’re sure to find it serene and welcoming.
- Lake Lanier: Whether you’re on an inner tube or boat or swimming in the lake, Lake Lanier is the perfect place to beat the heat.
- Mercier Orchard: If you’d prefer to explore the local landscape through your tastebuds, this orchard is the perfect way to do so. Pick your weight in ripe fruit, enjoy fresh apple cider and make your way through plates of baked goods.
- Rock City Gardens: These stunning rock formations and natural waterfalls make for incredible views—and Instagram opportunities.
- Toccoa Falls: This huge natural waterfall is great for anyone who dreams of being a mermaid—or who just wants to take a dip in the water to beat the summer heat.
As you can see, there are plenty of local day trips to take around Atlanta, GA. Not only does our own state offer plenty of natural wonders, but neighboring states like Alabama and Tennessee do, too. Take advantage of the warm weather and pack up for the day—and if you need a personal loan to make your trip a little easier on your budget, call Emory Alliance Credit Union today.
« Return to "Coffee Talk Blog"